Thursday, June 16, 2011

Ghost Recon Future Soldier Trailer -

Ahh, so another month, and yet another game trailer that I worked on.  This time over at DigitalDomain for the E3 announcement of Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon Future Soldier.  This was a beast of an ad, what with only about a month to work on it we were slammed with stuff to do from day one.  I was there to help work out the explosion elements that you see in the final shot where we fly through the flaming truck and the rest of the entire neighborhood to see what can happen in a single moment.

Read some more of my impressions and see the full trailer after the break.


  While I'm not a big fan of the freeze frame fly through effects you see in movies and games this one was a pleasure to work on.  I worked with a lot of Maya fluid simulations to get the fire and smoke inside and underneath the truck working and placed just right.  There was also a lot of back and forth between myself and the Nuke artist.  I can't tell you how big of a help a compositor can be to an FX artist :)  Most of this was just standard maya fluid effects, with lots of time spent simulating and re simulating the fluids to just the way we wanted them to be.

I also spent a considerable amount of time working on the blood and headshot effects you see in the rest of the spot.  I have to say it was a little grusome at first, especially with people talking about looking at reference of crime scenes and footage of people being shot, etc.  Nobody really wanted to do that though so we ended up studying footage of fruit being shot, smashed and otherwise exploded in slow motion on youtube.  This actually turned out to be some of the best reference we had and helped show the supervisors and director what these things would actually look like.

In the end we did a mix of instanced cubes and spheres, depending on the camera distance to help get the right amount of twinkle and spec hits in the misty blood(sorry if that is too gross).  There were also small particle passes and more fluid effects for the muzzle flashes.  Big globs of blood were modeled using n-Cloth along with hand modeled shards of bone.  Again, pretty gross, but you really needed a lot of stuff in there for the shot to read, mostly due to the fact that the camera is moving so fast past everything, and that it is competing with so many other things going on in frame.

Anyhow, here is the final spot that aired during the Microsoft E3 press conference.  If you have any other questions on how it was made, the process, or anything else please leave a comment. Enjoy!


3 comments:

aisha said...

I wanted to thank you for this great post!! I enjoyed every little bit of it, I have you bookmarked and waiting for all the new stuff you post.
Isuzu NPR Turbo

Babak said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Babak said...


Hi! great work and my so late comment!
I can say that i watched this work around 50/60 or more times and still enjoy watching that great stuff.
I want to make a scene just like that for my short movie. but i only work with Cinema 4D software and AFX.
May we watch a making of video for this awesome work?
All particle and explosion and smoke made in Maya? how you freeze that?
Please guide me!
Thank you and my best regards to you!